The Loch Ness Monster

The story of the Loch Ness Monster goes back to the days when the Picts lived around Loch Ness. In around 565 AD, the missionary Columba arrived and landed in Inverness. He started to walk the drovers’ road along the River Ness with his companions to bring Christianity to the locals.

They had not gone far when rumours started to reach them. There was a horrible beast attacking people in the river a little way downstream. While the animal was there, folk could not travel across or fish for the delicious salmon found there.

Columba and his companions hurried forward to the place where the reports were coming from. There they found a group of folk at the graveside of a fisherman who the monster had taken. The locals had pulled back from the water with the aid of boat hooks and determination.

Unperturbed, Columba turned to his companions. He said, “I need one of you to swim across and get that boat which is moored on the other bank”. Lugne, one of his companions, took off his furs and outer clothing and dived into the water to swim across. He was wearing just his linen tunic.

Under the water, the monster had been frustrated out of its earlier meal by the brave local folk. Now the monster was waiting for another opportunity. Upon hearing the splashing of Lugne above, the monster rose quickly to the surface. With a gaping mouth and a roar, the monster closed in on the brave swimmer.

The crowd was terrified, Columba’s companions were frightened too, but Columba raised his staff. In a loud and steady voice, Columba commanded the beast to:

“Stop where you are, turn and retire into the forest never to return here.”

Saint Columba 565AD – adapted from Adomnan’s Life of Columba

And the beast halted immediately, turned around and swam back to the opposite bank and loped off into the trees. At the same time, companion Lugne clambered into the boat and rowed it back to Columba and the cheering fisherfolk.

This was the first and last time the Loch Ness monster was seen until 1933. George Spicer and his wife told the Inverness Courier that they saw a forty-foot long monster crossing the road near the loch.

“Although I accelerated quickly towards it,” said Mr Spicer, “it had disappeared into the loch by the time I reached the spot. There was no sign of it in the water. I am a temperate man but I am willing to take any oath that we saw the Loch Ness beast.”

Inverness Courier – 2 May 1933

Since then, the Loch Ness monster has been seen numerous times, and there have been many famous hoaxes. In 1987 a major sonar operation called Operation Deepscan used over a million pounds worth of scientific equipment to scan Loch Ness’s depths. They did indeed make three “contacts”, but these were described as inconclusive.

You will need to come along for yourself to decide whether the monster lurks in the deep to this day.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Scroll to Top